Tuesday, January 6, 2015

DIY Lip Balm Locket

A while back, I saw this tutorial for a DIY Tinted Lip Balm locket. I loved it, and want it, but never made it to Merz Apothecary for all the ingredients, and in my Amazon cart they were totaling up to more than two new MAC lipsticks, so I just couldn't pull the trigger.
 
But look how cool it looks! So I thought, what if I could just do this without making my own lip balm? I am not Martha Stewart. If anything, the only thing I have in common with her is that I too will probably end up in prison one day. But I had this sick lion locket from Forever 21 and I wanted to try it.
I learned two things: yes, you can do this with your own lip balm, and it is fucking messy. Since Beautylish is a professional site, they made it look like it was not. But it is. So just make sure that you do this project with a crap ton of newspaper underneath your workspace.
 
Also, they got the lipbalm down to a liquid on the stove top, but I found that to be kind of messy, hard to control, and found that the balm started to solidify before I could get it all in the locket. So here is a slightly modified version.
You will need:
Locket
Balm (I used a lip butter that was on its last leg / I couldn't find my Burts Bees)
Knife
Hair dryer
Slice a piece of lip balm off and put it in your locket. How much you need will vary based on the size of your locket, but I found luck erring on the side of using a little too much. Also, please enjoy these professional iPhone photos I took at 2am. When inspiration strikes, it might be at weird times, and times when your dslr battery is dead.

With the blow dryer on low heat, hold it over the balm in the locket and watch it melt! It will splash a little (but trust me, its still less mess than when I tried it on the stove top), which is why the newspaper is there. You may need to add a little more at a time to get a full locket. 
 
So it's not freakishly smooth like the Beautylish one, but it gets the job done, and makes a little more room in your makeup bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment