Tuesday, January 6, 2015

DIY Hex Bracelet

hexed1

I first saw this braided hex nut bracelet on my tumblr feed. It’s a DIY from Honestly…WTF’s blog.

The original bracelet is from Giles & Brother.

hex2


hex3
Check them out – they’ve got some pretty great industrial pieces.

Yes, Giles & Brother’s stuff is pretty to look at, but pretty pricey. This is where DIY Braided Hex Nut Bracelet tutorial came in handy. If you can braid, you can make this bracelet. Real easy. All those days of french braiding my teammates’ hair for volleyball in high school finally came in handy. woohoo!

I started off with these elements:

hex4

The tutorial calls for rope twine; I used leather lacing. I also varied the size of the hex nuts to better imitate the guy’s version of Giles & Brother’s bracelet. For the record, hex nuts are pricier than I thought. I spent about 9$ on them for this project.

hex6

One thing that helped me a lot was to wedge the end of the bracelet between our coffee table drawers. This held the bracelet strands and allowed me to braid it tight.

hex5

I braided the entire length of the bracelet, and put a clasp on this bracelet, so I wouldn’t have to tie it on. A toggle clasp would’ve been better than what I used, but I didn’t have any around.

hex7

After trimming the extra lacing, the bracelet was done.

hex10
hexed8

Now go make one for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment