Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Starbucks Coffee

One of my passions is Starbucks coffee. Let me clarify, not just any coffee from Starbucks, I'm talking about frappucchinos! I am addicted, they are my"crack!" I did find some DIY recipes while browsing Pinterest for your own homemade version of their frappucchinos!

Starbucks in Your Own Kitchen


Have you had one of these? Are you one of those that pay $2.50 a bottle because they are just so good? You can make your own Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino for 36 cents per bottle (or less)!
My niece stopped by one day drinking one, so I tried it, then tried it again. Oh. My. Goodness. A great blend of coffee and milk and sugar and cocoa. My frugal conscious took over. I knew I could figure this recipe out–the ingredients were so simple.


Mocha Frappuccino

1 1/2 cups strong brewed coffee*
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (I used Dutch cocoa)
1 teaspoon ascorbic acid**
6 cups whole milk OR 6 cups low-fat milk + 1 Tablespoon pectin***

* Regular coffee can be used. If you’d like the exact taste of the bottled version, Starbuck’s Espresso Roast gives that taste. Brew 2 cups of cold water with 1/4 cup espresso coffee grounds.



** Ascorbic acid is added originally as a preservative, but it does add that hint of flavor. It does not need to be used.

*** Pectin is used in low-fat milk to thicken it. If you use whole milk or raw milk, or if you just don’t want to, pectin does not need to be used.

Brew the coffee.




Mix sugar, cocoa, pectin (if used) and ascorbic acid (if used) into brewed coffee until everything is dissolved. The mixture will thicken, after cooled, if using pectin.



Mix coffee mixture into milk.



Funnel into recycled sterilized bottles or pour into jars.



That’s all there is to make your own creamy blend of coffee, milk and cocoa–hoomemade Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino! This recipe will fill 4 (13.7 oz) bottles and leave a little bit for a taste now or fill a 1/2 gallon jar.



Chill and enjoy!

No reason to sit and savor that little 13.7 ounce bottle anymore. Just pour another glass! 

1 comment: