Wednesday, December 11, 2013

DIY Liquid Laundry Soap!

I have made this version before, I followed the directions to a T and after I finished making it I thought I screwed up because when it cooled down it was kind of gelatenous  but found out that it's supposed to be like that. I leave the homemade soap in a 5 gallon bucket and fill up an old soap container when needed. All I have to do is shake the container before pouring in to the washing machine, clothes come out smelling clean and they look clean!

You only need three basic ingredients to make either a powdered or liquid laundry soap:
  • Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer Brand available at most stores)
  • Borax (20 Mule Team Borax available at most grocery stores)
  • Bar Soap (Dr. Bronner’s,  Ivory, or other natural, unscented bar soap)
(You can also add a couple tablespoons of baking soda to help freshen clothes.)
Are you wondering what’s in these ingredients?

Borax is a naturally occurring mineral made up of sodium, boron, oxygen, and water. It is an ingredient in most of the natural soaps available now (Seventh Generation, etc.) but it is much more inexpensive to make yourself.

Washing Soda, sometimes called sodium carbonate or soda ash, is made from common salt and limestone or found as natural deposits.

Dr. Bronner’s soaps are fair trade and made with vegetable castille soap and pure organic oils.

To make liquid Laundry Soap: 

  1. Grate one bar of soap with cheese grater or food processor.
  2. Put grated soap in pan with 2 quarts water and gradually heat, stirring constantly until soap is completely dissolved.
  3. Put 4.5 gallons of really hot tap water in a 5-gallon bucket (available for free in bakeries at grocery stores, just ask them) and stir in 1 cup of borax and 1 cup of Washing Soda until completely dissolved.
  4. Pour soap mixture from pan into 5-gallon bucket. Stir well.
  5. Cover and leave overnight.
  6. Shake or stir until smooth and pour into gallon jugs or other containers.
  7. Use 1/2 to 1 cup per load.
This recipe is also a great way to save money on laundry. Since I made my 5 gallon batch (back in June) it has lasted me 6 months of semi-frequent laundry washing. I have about 1 more months worth left over and am about to try my hand at DIY powdered laundry soap and see which one lasts longer and does a better job!

Source - Wellness Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment